What is Parental Alienation?

April 11, 2016 - Categories: Legal Articles

The term “parental alienation” is used to refer to a situation where the parent with the primary custodial rights and obligations alienates the child from the other parent. Sadly, this happens all too often and the children are the real victims.

Significant problems can result when one parent tries to undermine or interfere with a child’s bond with the other parent. All too often, parental alienation is the result of the parent allowing marital conflicts to override the best interests of the child. In other words, a parent is putting his or her own needs ahead of those of the child. This often leads the child confused and hurt. It can also result in serious damage to the relationship between the child and the non-custodial parent.

The Parental Alienation Awareness Organization (PAAO) website refers to parental alienation as a form of "hostile aggressive parenting." According to PAAO, parental alienation can occur by using verbal or non-verbal actions. PAAO reports that:

The destructive actions by an alienating parent or other third person (like another family member, or even a well-meaning mental health care worker) can become abusive to the child – as the alienating behaviors are disturbing, confusing and often frightening to the child and can rob the child of their sense of security and safety leading to maladaptive or psychiatric reactions.

Is your ex-spouse is refusing to allow you to have parenting time or visitation with your children? Is your ex manipulating or bullying your child into believe you are the cause of all their problems? Does your ex treat you like the enemy in front of your children? If you believe your ex is convincing your child that you should be hated, feared or avoided, you are the victim of parental alienation and it is time to seek help.

Please contact us to schedule a free custody and parenting time consultation. With just a low initial retainer, our team of local Michigan lawyers is standing by to assist you with a wide variety of child custody and parenting time matters. Call Access Legal Care, PLLC, today at 855.583.6521 or visit us online to schedule your initial consultation.